Our History in Newton, Kansas
“Our bank has always attempted to render a real community service; one which recognizes character and ability as well as collateral."
-- H.E. Suderman, 1948
Since 1893 Midland National Bank has provided banking services for individuals and businesses making it possible for our community to grow and prosper. We have gone from the horse and buggy era to instant communication and account information via the Internet. One thing has remained constant throughout the many changes brought about by more sophisticated technology…we know you, our customer, and pride ourselves in delivering convenient, personal service.
Midland National Bank, with outstanding participation from its staff and Board of Directors, is involved in the Newton and greater Harvey County community through volunteer participation in over seventy-five charitable organizations, participation on numerous community boards and committees and by the charitable dollars we contribute as individuals and as a bank.
Midland National Bank opened March 3, 1893 in a building located on the northeast corner of Fifth and Main. Grant Hornaday was the Bank's president, J. H. McNair, vice president and Don Kinney, cashier. The Bank purchased its present site at 527 North Main Street in Newton, KS in 1896 for $6,000 and moved into its present location in 1907. A stone wall from Peter Luhn's 1876 Pioneer Store, uncovered in 1977, is still visible throughout the Main Bank lobby, providing a unique glimpse into Newton's historical past.
The Bank operates today under the original charter, which was issued in 1893.
Herman E. Suderman (b. 1873), an 1885 Russian immigrant, began his banking career at the age of 13 as a janitor and messenger for the German National Bank of Newton. He continued to advance his banking career both in Newton and in Kansas City. In 1902, he returned to Newton to accept a position with Midland National Bank and in 1903 was elected a director and vice-president. He purchased the controlling interest in 1916 and three years later became its president. He held this position until his son John C. Suderman succeeded him in 1954. Presently, Paul M. Suderman is a 4th generation bank officer and member of the Board. James H. Suderman serves as Vice-Chairman on the Bank's Board of Directions and John R. Suderman serves as Chairman of the Board.
The first drive up ATM west of the Missouri River was located at Midland National Bank in 1975! The bank now has multiple ATM locations in Newton, North Newton, and Hesston, KS.
A separate drive-up and walk-up bank facility, the Motor Bank Drive-Thru, located at 116 West 5th in Newton, KS, was built in 1975. The North Newton Branch at 2501 North Main in North Newton opened in 1990; and the Kidron Bethel Branch, conveniently located inside the Kidron Bethel Retirement Center at 3001 Ivy Drive, North Newton, opened in 1991. The full service Washington Road Branch at 1212 Washington Road in Newton opened in June of 1997. Midland's sixth facility, located in Newton Presbyterian Manor at 1200 East 7th, opened in 1999. The Main Bank building was extensively remodeled in 1907, 1922, 1978, and again in 2001.
Many changes have occurred since Midland National Bank was founded in 1893. New technology has enabled us to offer many forms of automated banking and convenience to Midland's customers. In recent years, Midland has introduced debit cards, online banking and online bill payment, ACH processing, telephone account access, and statement imaging. Other enhancements and products on the horizon are sure to give Midland customers added value and convenience.
Our 50+ employees value their involvement and commitment to help the community remain strong and growing. Midland National Bank is a locally owned community bank located in Newton, Kansas. The Data Processing, Operations, Loan, and Management offices are located at 527 North Main Street.
Our Mission Statement:
"To be the best community bank in the markets we serve, from a customer, employee and investor perspective by achieving excellence in all that we do."